Sunday, October 14, 2007

Algebra and Such

Math has never been my strong point. I've struggled with it from early on. I'm not exactly sure why. I've given the subject quite a bit of thought recently and I have come to the conclusion that a possible reason for my struggle is that I am very much an abstract thinker. I don't always deal with absolutes so well. This seems very strange to me considering the fact that I love science and I have made the pursuit of medical discover the aim for my life. Science and Math are so similar in so many ways and yet I have never struggled in Science, it has always been my best subject, and yet I struggle so hard to grasp the concepts of math. Science is something you can see, hear, feel, taste and touch. It's all around us all the time. And although math is seen in every aspect of life it is not really anything that can be experienced except on paper and in the mind. Maybe that is why I struggle with it so much. So how can I make math more real to me? More observable? I want to be able to see it, feel it, understand it, love it, just like I love science. I'm not sure how to do that. Until I discover how to animate this monster I face, I'm just going to have to plug away at it like I'm doing now until eventually the subject is burned into my mind.

I love math... I'm going to keep telling myself that until it comes true, maybe at that point I will have learned the secret to understanding numbers.

Miranda

1 comment:

Tiffany Zajas said...

Oh Algebra...I do not miss it.

Good news though--we're on Fall Break! :) Enjoy it (as best you can, since you're getting your wisdom teeth taken out tomorrow).

Love you, love you, love you!