Thursday, October 18, 2007

How I Plan to Spend My Fall Break


It's fall break. WOOT! A time to escape from the norm of everyday school life. Unfortunately for me I don't have any joyous festivities planed for this long weekend. Instead I'm going to have my wisdom teeth removed tomorrow morning and I'll be spending the remainder of the break recovering from it. I have never been under anaesthesia before so I'm really not sure how I'm going to react to it. So, be praying that it all goes well.

In other news...

Today at work was rather interesting for me. I work as a Vet Tech in training at Appalachian Animal Clinic. Today when I came into work they had a dog there that had been shot in the head! Poor puppy, he behaved so well for us. Thankfully he is going to be alright. When the vet was operating on the dog with a bullet, another dog came in that had been in a fight. His lower left eye lid had been peeled back from his face and his check had been punctured all on one bite from his competitor. Now this dog was mean. They had to use a rabies pole to keep him from biting when they were sedating him (a rabies pole is a long stick with a cable on the end that goes around the dog's neck so that it can be controlled without the risk of the handler getting bitten). He's going to be okay too. I also got the chance to prep a cat for treatment of a laceration.

I do have to say that a lot of the stuff I see at work is sort of gross but surprisingly it hasn't bothered me much at all since I started. I really thought that watching surgeries and dealing with blood would bother me some to start with but there hasn't been a single moment that has bothered me more than just the initial "Ouch" of seeing a wound. This is quite an encouragement to me. I can truly see myself doing this for the rest of my life.

Well, I hope the rest of you that are on fall break have a good vacation. Be safe.

Miranda

1 comment:

Tiffany Zajas said...

I hope that your surgery goes well! You should call me when you're all drugged up, so you can say funny things to me, and I can tell you about it later. :)

Wow, you have some crazy stories from work. It sounds like you're really enjoying it though.

And...did you take that picture of the dog in the leaves? Because I want that dog. I'm normally not a fan of dogs, but I really do like dachshunds...and that one is really cute.

Love you! Recover quickly!