Monday, November 5, 2007

I Miss My Horse!

I've been sort of sad lately because I haven't been able to get out to see my horse, Vega, very much this semester. I'm lucky if I can get out there once a week. It makes me feel guilty because Vega needs so much attention and at the moment I'm not able to give it to him. Right now Vega is being pasture boarded so the only human contact he gets is when I go out to see him. Lately when I have gone out to see him I've only gone out to groom him, I've barely done any training with him this semester. Although time constraints are an issue for me, I think one of my biggest problems is motivation. I have taught Vega everything I know how to teach him and yet he still has so far to go. I can't ride him yet and I've had him for over a year now. Vega is 7 years old now. When I tell people that I can't ride Vega they naturally ask me how old he is. It's embarrassing when I tell them he is seven and they say "Wow, Seven? Why can't you ride him?" What do I tell them? Honestly I just don't know what to do anymore. It's about time I get some help.

I've been doing quite a bit of research lately into the Parelli Natural Horsemanship Program. They have a home study program unlike any other horse training program I've ever heard of. It includes six DVDs with over 14.5 hours of training, along with companion books and an audio CD to go along with it. The program is all about learning to communicate well with your horse and developing a trusting partnership relationship in which the person is the "alpha horse." I've heard so many good things about this program, I really think it would help Vega get over some of his fears and it will strengthen our relationship. Only problem is that the program and equipment needed for it costs $380 some dollars. If God wants me to get this program than he will make a definite way for me to get it.

In the mean time, I'm going to do my best to find more time to go out to see my boy.

Miranda

2 comments:

Dr. J. Randolph Turpin said...

Hey Miranda! What's the latest in your adventurous life? I know that I'm your Dad and that I probably already know a lot of what is going on with you these days, but I do love to read what you write. How about an up-to-date blog post?

You are most definitely one of the most interesting people that I know.

Love ya!

Dad

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.