Saturday, December 20, 2008

New Horse to Play With


I have missed being around horses so much. Ever since I left Missouri in October I really have not had a chance to even see any horses, let alone work with them. This strange craving comes over me anytime I am away from horses for an extended period of time, it's a craving I often jokingly call my Horse Withdrawals. It's one reason I know that I am destined to work with horses. I am not content unless there is a soft mussel and a giddy whiny to greet me at the gate.

So you can understand how excited I was when a colleague of my mother's invited me over to play with their two horses. I went out on Thursday and had such a good time. They have two horses, an older Arabian mare named Rose and her 4 or 5 year old son, Pride, who is a Percheron cross. They are both beautiful and sweet horses, but I especially enjoyed playing with Pride.

Pride has never had any formal training before and so I eagerly offered to train him as much as I can before I leave for Indiana in February. Of course I cannot ride him yet, even if he were ready my doctor would have a fit if I tried to ride before my arm is completely healed. So for now I am going to be teaching Pride basic ground manors such as haltering and leading, tying, picking up his feet, giving to pressure, lunging, etc. I am really excited to work with him. He is so curious and I can tell he has an eagerness to learn. It's almost like he's just asking for someone to train him! I wish I had a longer period of time to work with him. I would love to saddle brake him. I think he has the potential to be a good dressage horse. He has the body and, better yet, he seems to have the mind for it.

I cannot wait to go out and work with him again, although that may not be until after New Years.

Here is a short video clip I made of him. It gives you a good glimpse of his personality. I hope you enjoy.



Miranda

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Miranda for caring for our horses. You are a G0d-send to us and to Pride and Rose. We must confess that they have been neglected in the sense of training. You are super with horses!

Cheryl Johns

Anonymous said...

Thanks Miranda for caring for our horses. You are a G0d-send to us and to Pride and Rose. We must confess that they have been neglected in the sense of training. You are super with horses!

Cheryl Johns

Anonymous said...

Hey Miranda - love your blog! I noticed the link on one of your NWC messages. PRIDE is BEAUTIFUL! Good luck with your surgery & keep us posted!!!

Candy