Thursday, December 31, 2009

Recap of 2009


Well, it's New Years Eve.  The year of 2009 has come and gone and 2010 is only a few hours away.  A lot has happened this past year, more than I can say in one blog post.  But I can give a recap that will put this year to rest and make room for the exciting events that I am sure will come this next year.

At the beginning of February 2009 I moved up to Lafayette, Indiana to work a Dressage training internship at Forrest Hill Farm under the instruction of Jennifer Kaiser.  My experience there was invaluable. I learned so much and grew greatly in my confidence. I had the opportunity to experience things I have never done before. I assisted with foaling mares, learned how to start young horses under saddle, had the chance to compete in a dressage show, got to work with stallions, learned to drive a tractor, and so much more. I would not trade the seven months I spent there for anything.  


Now I am back in Tennessee with my family, looking forward to the next exciting adventure that will come into my life in 2010.  I don't have a job right now, but I am keeping busy. I have been volunteering at the Tri-State Therapeutic Riding Center in McDonald, TN.  They provide riding lessons and therapy to physically, mentally, and socially handicapped riders.  I have thoroughly enjoyed the time I have spent working there so far.  To see how the riders light up when riding horses is just priceless.  It is honestly the most rewarding thing I have ever done with horses.

The week before Christmas I volunteered at a Christmas Horse Camp the center hosted there. Most of the campers were not handicapped, a few had downs syndrome but they were very independent. The camp was put as a fundraiser for the program. It was so much fun!  I also get a chance to ride once in a while too, which I am thankful for.  It is such a great way for me to help others while doing what I love. I am really looking forward to helping out more at Tri-State.

Since returning home, I have gone out and seen Pride one time.  I plan to go out and work with him even more. His owners are wanting to try to sell him soon, so I would like to do what I can to get him ready to be sold.  I really enjoy being around him.  He as such a sweet nature. I learned so much while I was in Indiana, I know better now what I need to do to train him. The biggest limitation I have now is the lack of proper equipment and facilities in which to train him. I can only go so far with his training. But there are still some things I can do.

I will try to keep this blog updated more this coming year.  I want to start doing blog posts about specific training issues I come across and how I handle them.  I also want to do reviews on horse books and videos I've seen. Soon I will be adding a bookstore on this blog where people can buy books and materials I have found to be useful.

Please keep checking back here in 2010. I really appreciate all of my readers. Have a wonderful 2010! Continue to chase your dream. If I can do it, anyone can.

Miranda Joy Tuprin

No comments: