Saturday, November 27, 2010

First Experience with the Fundamentals.

Hello Follow Dream Chasers!

I know that it has been a long time since I've updated this blog, and I do apologize for that. Life has been a rollercoaster the last several months and it has been hard keeping up with my writing. I had my surgery on my arm back in March.  After recovering, I got really busy training my summer project horse using the Fundamentals (more on that in a bit). In August my family made a sudden move to Maine, meaning that I've been really busy trying to start a new life in New England. Even though it's been a bit crazy, things are going great for me now. Better than I could ever dream! My arm is doing wonderful. Though I wouldn't say it's perfect, I rarely have pain in it now and it gets stronger and stronger everyday. I now have a job at a day camp in Scarborough, Maine as a riding instructor, and I have a private client who is paying me to train two of their horses (more on these things in later posts). My dream of becoming a professional horse trainer is finally becoming a reality.

Now, I have a lot to catch you up on, but for now I want to just focus on my summer training project, Matti the Morgan/Quarter Horse cross. Matti is owned by my dear DEAR friends, Bill and Gloria. They bought Matti last spring with the intent of using her as a trail horse. Matti had had very little training and had been turned out to pasture for a few years with nothing done to her. She was extremely distrusting of strangers and very jumpy. I began working with her with the intent of using only the Methods found in Clinton Anderson's Fundamental Series. Basically, I put aside all the traditional dressage training methods I had learned in 2009 to see how effective Clinton's method was for my purposes. The results have sent my confidence soaring! After only about a month and a half of working with Matti using the Fundamentals on the ground, I was riding her. I followed the Fundamentals to the letter and tried not to do any practice that was not detailed in it. The results? Matti, a once spooky and distrusting unridable mare is now a laid back and confident riding horse who now runs to the gate to meet her people each morning. Of course we had some bumps along the way, but I credit a lot of that to my own error. We got it all smoothed out in the end.

Unfortunately, I ended up moving out of state before my video project was over with. I intended to video tape myself doing all of the exercises with Matti but I was only able to get a few of the exercises taped. At the time I taped them we had not yet perfected the exercises and even since I finished working with Matti my own skills with the Method have improved. So the footage I have is quite rough. But I posted it to YouTube anyway with the hopes that it would spark the attention of those that may be interested in learning more about the Downunder Horsemanship Method.



My over all review of the Fundamental series: It works. Get it! I'm serious. It has done so much to boost my confidence. Matti reminded me so much of Vega. If I had had the Fundamentals series back when I had him, I truly believe that I would STILL have him today and that I would never have broken my arm. After my accident I had lost a lot of my confidence. Even though I still wanted to work with horses more than anything else, I paradoxically had a lot of fear when training horses. I didn't like that. The Fundamentals series has effectively removed that fear from me, because it has taken away the unknown factors of training. I know what to look for now, and I know what to do. It was the fear of the unknown that paralyzed me before. That fear is just not there anymore. I wrote a short review for the Fundamentals back when I first got the series. Downunder Horsemanship has used my review in the No Worries Club journal and the review is still on their website. I think it perfectly sums up how I feel about the Fundamentals Series:
by Miranda from Cleveland, TN
The Fundamentals Series is WELL WORTH the price! Ive never been to one of CAs clinics, but honestly it feels like he is giving me one on one lessons right in my living room. I love it! I cant say enough good things about this series. I cant wait to put it to practical use. There is no guess work involved. I feel very confident that if I follow the Method to a T that my horses training will come about smoothly and safely. Call the Fundamentals Series "confidence in a box"  
Enough said. If you have any questions at all PLEASE contact me. I would love to hear what you have to say. I am here for all of you out there that ever dared to dream that they could thrive in their life with horses.

Peace and Joy,

Miranda Joy

No comments: